Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Strad Inspired Violin - Log 2/10/2010

Wednesday, February 10, 2010
The "Saint" Delivered

I called Ben at the shop to see if we could arrange a time for me to pick up my violin.  We spoke Tuesday evening about the backup plan since that the Otto Tempel fittings did not arrive that day and I hoped for delivery the following day, February 10th, by fortunate coincidence my birthday.  Ben promised to set up the violin with temporary fitttings so that I would have it.  He had to finish cutting the bridge to the proper height that evening and promised to call me the following day when everything was ready.

Because I promised my friend, Sam Siurua ,I would bring the "Saint" with me at 2:00 P.M. I was becoming a bit anxious.  Ben said he could have it finished by 2:00 P.M. so I called Sam and Sto let everyone know I would be later than usual.

When I arrived at the shop everyone was very busy and Ben rather dispassionately told me my violin was hanging on the wire in the backroom.

When I walked in I was very surprised and quite happy.  There was the "Saint", complete and ready for delivery.  The beautiful hand carved, flamed boxwood fittings from Otto Tempel of Michelstadt, Germany had arrived 15 minutes before I called Ben and he needed the extra time to fit them on the "Saint".

With a nod to the pose Sam used to photograph his beloved Furber violin, I have photographed the "Saint" similarly.



Before Christmas Ben set up the instrument with only the ground applied to the wood.  At that time the violin sounded powerful, resonant and even across all strings and positions.  However,  I was a bit concerned and did not mentioned to Ben that there was a certain quality to the sound.  I could describe it as the sound of raw wood which of course it very nearly was.  I told Ben only that I hoped for a more creamy tone when it was finished and perhaps for my ear I would be happier fitting it with gut strings rather than the Dominants he used.

Clearly, even from first few notes my bow drew out, the rawness was gone.  The exact smooth creamy tone I hoped for was evident.  And, this was using the same strings that had been fitted for the trial before Christmas. 

Now the fun begins over the next few weeks as I have a chance to play in the "Saint".  Surprising changes were discernible as it opened up after merely 15 minutes of playing. 

Stayed tuned.  A poor pun but the sounds are so amazing when all four strings are perfectly in tune.  As I play it in tuning frequently I will added comments to the blog for those of you interested in that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment